01 Aug PIGMENTATION BE GONE!
As everyone knows, the best base for beautiful makeup is good skin. Unfortunately, because we live in a tropical country, constant exposure to the sun has caused pigmentation to form on my skin.
Since I am always on the look- out for new products or treatments that could help me manage my skin to be the best that it can be, I went to The Aivee Clinic to find a way to address my concern. It was there that I was introduced to Cosmelan, a new product that is specially formulated to lighten skin pigmentation such as melasma. After trying it, I must say that I am pleased with the results on me have decided to share the news of this wonderful product to everyone.
To learn more about Cosmelan and its benefits, I did a Q&A with The Aivee Clinic’s Ann Tirona and Donna Abestado.
- In layman’s terms, please define what is pigmentation? Also what are the causes of pigmentation?
- Pigmentation is characterized by a darkening of an area of skin caused by overproduction of a pigment in the skin known as melanin. In layman’s terms, pigmentation is often called as age spots, sun spots, or dark spots on the face which are usually caused by sun exposure.
- Usually, they say it is because of cumulative sun damage. Can you explain what that means?
- Every time your skin is exposed to UV light, skin damage occurs. The cumulative effect of repeated sun damage causes epidermal DNA damage, persistent inflammation and oxidative stress, which negatively affects the health and appearance of your skin. In this case, pigmentation on the skin is more visible because of these factors.
- What sunblock can you recommend for people who can’t avoid going out in the sun?
- The usual recommendation for sunblock is to use one that is at least SPF 50. That is good enough to protect your skin for skin damaging.
- What are the best protocols for eradicating pigmentation?
- The best way to treat skin pigmentations is, of course, to visit your dermatologist first to have your skin check, history and background so that the doctor will be able to address the problem, and make proper recommendation of which treatment/s can be done. You can start with skin peeling, laser treatments, topical creams for maintenance.
- What is Cosmelan? What are the benefits one can get from the treatment? How does it work?
- Cosmelan is a combination of different depigmentation agents, which act by inhibiting the enzyme Tyrosinase , which is involved in the skin’s production of melanin. This depigmentation treatment offers major advantages compared to other therapies such as: it is compatible with all skin types, it is a rapid and easy depigmentation process, and it has no Hydroquinone.
- A Cosmelan treatment involves 2 separate steps:
First is the application of the Cosmelan cream mask. Usually, it is left on the face for four (4) to six (6) hours but the doctor and the medical staff determine that based on their examination of your skin prior to the treatment.
Then after the Cosmelan cream mask is washed off the face, the second step is initiated with the maintenance program, which include topical creams (moisturizers sunblock and/or anti-irritation cream).
- What is a good regimen for maintenance after treatments?
- What’s good about Cosmelan is that it is a complete pigmentation program kit and you don’t have to worry about your maintenance for the next 3 months. Once you have finished all of it, it is best to come back to your doctor for another check-up and depending on your skin and the results, you may also try using skin whitening lasers to better improve your skin.
So if you want to try this product, make sure you go to a reliable dermatologist and see if Cosmelan is the answer to your pigmentation concerns.
2,442 total views, 4 views today