05 Sep SMOKEY EYE: DARK DRAMA
As everyone knows, I’m such a fan of smokey eyes. I even sometimes wear it during the day time. It’s dramatic; it’s bold; and it just instantly makes you feel so glamorous. And due to public demand, I’m sharing my smokey eye routine!
1. Create the basic contour for your eyes. You can check out the article here.
2. Since we will be dealing with very dark pigments, apply a liberal amount of translucent powder shadow Laura Mercier Translucent Powder ($38) under your eyes, or get yourself some eye shields to catch the fall out of any eye.
Contrary to what many people think, to do a proper smokey eye, you just need two colors – the color you want and black. For the classic, dramatic look, I use dark browns and noir.
3. Take your dark brown eye shadow Anastasia Beverly Hills Eyeshadow-Fudge ($12) and create an angle. Start from the lash line and extend out towards your brow bone. This is sort of your guide in helping build that gradation.
Many are intimidated by the smokey eye, but it’s really the easiest makeup look ever. You just have to be careful, and add color a little bit at a time.
4. The key to flawless smokey eyes is to blend, blend, blend! We’re not gunning for a harsh cut crease. Rather, we’re looking for that seamless transition and gradation of colors. Elongate the eyes by really focusing the color on the outer corner of the eyes, and extend it out. Don’t extend horizontally. Always bring it up and out to “lift” your look.
5. After the browns, we go for more drama with intense black. Apply the black eye shadow Anastasia Beverly Hills Noir Shadow Contour Palette ($30) on the outer V of the eyes, and bring it to the lash line. Then blend it into your brown eye shadow. Be very light as you don’t want to “move” what you’ve already applied. We’re just blending to make the transition of colors more seamless. Use very small strokes and feather it going up.
6. For the finishing touches of this basic smokey eye, apply your mascara and line your water line.
You’re good to go as is, but if you really want to elevate your look to a whole, new level of fun, follow the next step.
7. To amp it up, use a wet brush to apply an eyeshadow with metallic shimmer Makeup Geek Pigment- Utopia ($8.99). Apply the shimmer and concentrate it on the center/ round of the lid to make it pop. Apply this as well underneath the lower lash line.
8. Add another layer of drama and contrast by going over the outer V and inner V using your dark eye shadow. Then deepen it with noir (Anastasia Beverly Hills Smoke And Noir).
TIP: If you’re going to do elaborate makeup like this, you need a good set of makeup brushes. Your tools are key in creating the look. Invest in a lot of blending brushes, brushes for application, and detail brushes.
9. For the finishing touches, line your eyes with liquid eyeliner SIGMA BEAUTY GEL EYELINER – WICKED ($14) and apply your lashes. For this look, I used a set of falsies for more drama.
5,207 total views, 16 views today